01 March 2006

Prevention Against Lockjaw

Although I received Tetanus shots and boosters when I was a kid, it's been about 13 years since my last one. That was, until yesterday. I remember the ones I got when young were rather innocuous. Sure, there was some pain, but it was more like a finger prick. Well, now I know the pleasures of growing up. Like the adult Tetanus vaccination - that is - the "big boy" shot.

When I saw the needle, I felt instantaneously apprehensive. I remember the injection from my youth being dispensed from a tube, which had a multi-needle spread that barely broke the surface. Well this was drastically different from that. This was a majorly hypodermic experience.

The attendant was great at putting the needle in. And all was fine, muscle relaxed, needle embedded in my soft tissue. Until she pushed the concoction into my shoulder muscle.

The pain subsided rather quickly. But it came back. A couple hours later it felt sore, but still localized in the shoulder muscle. But now, although the intense pain is still local to the shoulder, it has spread throughout my body, and I have a range of symptoms, including unsettled digestion (atrocious gas), and general body aches, fever, mild headache. If it's worse by tomorrow morning, I am going to get it checked out. But right now, I feel like crap.

Tetanus "Td" vaccine safe? Bullshit!

I guess it will be worth not getting lockjaw?

Oh sure...

Next time - I will ask for the waiver, thank you. I'll take my chances with lockjaw. If it's meant to be, then hey, I guess it's just meant to be. You know what I mean?

Okay. Change the subject. Have a good rest of the week.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, no! So sorry to hear about your reaction. I remember when you were an infant and had just received your regularly timed shots. G'ma was in MN; Dad and I had a big party on the books so we were confident that all would be fine when we left you and G'ma for the evening. When we returned, you were sleeping peacefully but G'ma was looking haggard. Seems you had cried most of the evening because of the shot but had settled down just before our return. Poor G'ma--she was also with you when you were weaned. It's good you are nice to her now!! Hope you'll be feeling better soon. I know you have stacks of work to do. Love and hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gotten a lot better. There is still local soreness, but I don't think it's going to cause a severe reaction (which includes chronic muscle wasting [atrophy] that can last from a period of a couple weeks to a few months).

    I guess I do have a history of reacting negatively to Tetanus vaccination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God, I remember that shot being SO painful! I was a dramatic little fucker, and I remember, Mom, correct me if I'm wrong, rolling about on the floor of 5544 Clinton Ave, screaming, "I'm going to die!" or something like that. Your post doesn't make me want to keep up on my shots. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete