17 September 2007

Blackwater License to Operate in Iraq Cancelled

I was listening to the radio today when I heard that there was a "shootout" in Iraq that involved "Blackwater" mercenaries. Rumors suggest that several innocent Iraqis were killed in the "shootout."

What is most striking is that the radio news story conflicts directly with a story I just found on the BBC [via truthout.org]. The radio story included a brief statement (by a spokesman for either Blackwater or the US Gov't - I'm not sure which) that claimed the government of Iraq had not asked the Blackwater company to leave Iraq.

The story stuck with me for some reason, and it's interesting because I just found a story that contradicts the one I heard on NPR. The BBC is reporting that the Iraqi Government has Banned Blackwater from Iraq.

This might be a signal that the Iraqi government is gaining a greater degree of autonomy. It will be interesting to watch.

Here's a link to the BBC story [on truthout.org]: http://www.truthout.org/...

No comments:

Post a Comment