01 July 2010

CFC Return to Cascadia

Day 17 Aboard the CFC Blue-Green Machine
Day 17 Aboard the CFC Blue-Green Machine

June 30, 2010

Somewhere in Eastern Oregon—This is one of the many beautiful scenes that I was able to imperfectly photograph along the route of our journey. As usual, the best ones (images, scenes...) got away...

The Cascadia Freedom Caravan returned to the Cascadia Pacific Northwest region today (June 30/July1). Though many were tired, the travelers were in mostly good spirits. And while most were glad to be home, I think there is also some pain of loss and separation in seeing the end of an amazing journey, and as friends new and old go separate ways.

For me, the trip was somewhat of a pilgrimage. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to spend time with so many amazing people. I made good connections and had some awesome conversations. For me, it was an educational and transformative experience.

Both the Allied Media Conference and the US Social Forum were worthwhile. I learned a lot at both. I learned about myself, and about the world. I learned about the work of making the world a better place for all people.

Detroit is an amazing place, full of contrasts, and a past of conflict. In the midst of the chaos of economic instability, there exists an amazing spirit of resilience, opportunity, and even beauty as communities learn to adapt and grow despite the presence of unfavorable social trends and pressures.

I have nearly 3,000 photographs from the trip. I hope to compile a few sets to tell the story, including a set of the best ones. That is after I get some much needed rest!

Peace,
Berd

No comments:

Post a Comment